Thursday, April 4, 2013

Our Spring Break Visit to Baton Rouge!

Hey guys!

I hope you've been having a great Spring Break! Or, for those of you not reading until after the break, I hope you HAD a great Spring Break!

As I am writing, it is a chilly, gloomy day here in Winston - we even saw some SNOW! That's very different from the weather we saw in Baton Rouge. The reasons for this relate directly to our Mystery Class studies.
This week's posting is going to be a guess - the - place sort of post. I'm going to give you details - half these facts are about Winston-Salem, NC, and the other half relate to Baton Rouge. You will determine which are our hometown of Winston-Salem and which are Baton Rouge. Some you may already know or be able to figure out from process of elimination. Only a few will require any research.

Lastly, for a bonus: Which photos found throughout this blog post are images from Baton Rouge? Which are images of our hometown? How can you tell?
File:Baton Rouge Bridge.jpg

1. Latitude and longitude: 30° 27' 2" N / 91° 9' 15" W

2. Latitude and longitude: 36° 5' 59" N / 80° 14' 39" W

3. Climate: subtropical

4. Climate: temperate

Winston-Salem, North Carolina
5. Biome: deciduous forest

6. Biome: wetlands

7. This city is known for Quakers and Moravians.

8. . This city is known for Acadians, commonly known as Cajuns.

9. This city is found on out nation's second largest river.

10. This city is located in the foothills of an isolated mountain range with unusual rock formations.


See full size image





A few distance estimations and calculations before we are done:

1. Raja travelled to New York City over Spring Break. Allie travelled to Orlando, Florida. Who was further from Winston-Salem, Raja, Allie or me?

2. Who was closer to me, Raja or Allie? Which girl was farther from my location?

3. Our return flights from New Orleans to Charlotte were just slightly shorter than our trips down (flying from Charlotte to New Orleans). Mr. Taylor and I had a great discussion about what the possible reasons for this might be. Use the weather maps and links below to see if you can develop some ideas about why this happened:




http://hint.fm/wind/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/29/wind-map-video_n_1390149.html

The answers for this blog post are due Friday, April 19. You will write your answers on the sheet given to you in class BUT I would also like for you  to post one REALLY COOL thing you did or experienced over Spring Break.

7 comments:

  1. The best thing I got to do when I was at my grandparents house was baby sit my baby cousin. she is si sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! I love that you enjoy spending time with your baby cousin.

      I wish you could have posted a picture of that awesome lion pillow you made over break. It's really great! Maybe you could do a sewing tutorial for the class as part of Discovery one week(only if you want to, of course).

      I see below you caught your typo! Careful - proofreading is so important, as we all make mistakes (I know you all notice ALL of mine).

      Delete
  2. ops i ment to say she is SO sweet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi it's Allie,
      I went to universal Orlando and went to Harry potter world !!! It was so fun. I also got a Harry potter wand and a t-shirt:-)

      Delete
    2. Awesome!

      I can't wait until my kids are old enough to appreciate Harry Potter World. I'm just itching to start reading the books with Jack. I think we have a few more years to wait, though.

      I'm glad you had a good time.

      Delete
  3. Hello!! It's Raja!!! One really cool thing I did on spring break was riding the train from New Jersey to New York. Also exploring the beautiful interesting crowded streets of New York. Another thing I enjoyed was seeing my grandma, my aunt,my uncle,and my grandma's dog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi one thing I did during spring break was I went to a place called white water rafting. There was a bunch of obstical courses and a zip line. Also the had coonoing, stand up paddle boarding, kyacing, and a rappids course. It was really fun, when we went kyacing Issac fell in the water. It was really funny.
    I also went to air bound.

    ReplyDelete