Monday, June 18, 2012

Hi everybody! I hope you're all having a fantastic summer so far!

Jaelyn checked in with a link to her summer blog - check out what she's been up to in San Francisco!

Link to Jaelyn's Summer Blog

Awesome post, Jaelyn! I love the pictures you included, and you'd done a nice job writing up your trip so far! It's great to see you stretching your writing and observation skills over the summer! I'll be interested to hear even more soon! Thanks so much for sharing.

For Jaelyn (and anyone else who may head out to the West Coast some day), here are some other cool sites in San Francisco (we were planning a trip there... still haven't made it)!

The Exploratorium

Alcatraz Island

San Francisco Zoo

Yerba Buena Gardens

As for me, we've finally settled into summer here. I spent most of last week still working at school, but now I'm done for awhile. The turtles have settled into their summer home at my house, and Jack and the dogs have really enjoyed observing them.




We also had a great time this weekend at the NC Transportation Museum! We went on a 21st Century Steam Excursion, which was a great chance to experience something that most modern people never will - riding on a real, working Steam Locomotive! We all learned from Marc's Teaching Academy earlier this year about how Steam Locomotives were replaced by Diesel Engines many, many years ago (Steam was pretty much done away with everywhere by the 1950's), and only a few old Engines were kept around after that. This one was built in 1904, in Richmond, VA, the capital of my home state! Pretty cool! Jack really had a blast, and so did his Grand Daddy (my father loves trains even more than Jack). It was a great experience!





Other than that, we've been hanging out, playing soccer outside, going to the pool and picking blackberries. We'll be going on our mini-vacation to Natural Bridge in Virginia this weekend - be on the lookout for updates on that and more updates from your classmates. 

15 comments:

  1. Cool Mrs.taylor and thanks for supporting and reading my blogs. I feel so good that people really read your blogs even if your at a small age.I'm really excited about 5th grade,i just turned ten on the 24 and i feel like i'm getting old. Hope everyone has a great summer and see ya'll next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, 10 is not old! How old does that make the rest of us?!?!
      Hmm... maybe we don't want you to answer that!
      I'm so happy to read and support your blogs. I love that you are so interested in writing and in finding ways to share your thoughts. I think you should take EVERY opportunity to practice those skills!

      Delete
  2. Also i made a new blog on entertainment the address is:
    http://jaysrevs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://awsome1234.blogspot.com/ This is the adress to my blog.

    This is Nathan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really cool news about the turtles! I went to the beach two weeks ago. I went parasailing and was up in the air about 400 feet high. I felt like I was flying. Before I went, I thought it would be thrilling, but it was actually very relaxing. I also went sailing on a Hobie Cat out in the ocean. This Saturday, Juan, our Spanish exchange student is arriving at our house. He will live with us a whole month. I will blog in Spanish and I want you guys to try to figure out what I am saying. :)
    Have a GREAT summer!!
    Allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Allie, parasailing sounds amazing! I'm a little afraid of heights - maybe I should try to get over it and give that a try.
      How's the Spanish coming along?

      Delete
  5. I hope the turtles are having fun,
    I went to Florida 2 times. I went to Univneversal Island of Adventures. I went on a Harry Potter ride, it was aswsome. It was like you were floting in mid air. I went to the beach and I saw sharks but they very far away so I wouldn't swim that far to just see a shark. I started playing in a summer basketball leageue.

    Have a great summer,

    Jacob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I can't wait until my kids are old enough to enjoy Universal and all the Harry Potter rides. I bet that was awesome!
      That's cool that you got to see sharks - and especially good that you didn't get too close! Best to be safe!

      Delete
  6. Hola Allie,
    ?Como estas?
    ?Como esta tu amigo Juan?
    Espero conocerlo proto

    Jacob

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jacob what does the last sentence mean in English?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nathan,
    I was saying hi Allie,
    how are you doing?
    how it is your friend Juan?
    I hope to see him


    Jacob

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey guys! So glad to see you all posting and blogging. I didn't get all the updates that you had posted - I'm so glad I logged in to check!
    Sounds like you are all having excellent summers so far! I'm about to put up a new post about some of our family's adventures this summer, and I'll be sure to link the new blogs there, too.
    Keep checking in - and definitely continue the conversation. I'm glad to see you interacting with each other on here, too - and in 2 languages, no less! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hola a todos,
    espero que estéis teniendo un buen verano!
    Mi amigo Juan esta aqui.
    Nosotros estuvimos en Washington DC.
    Hasta luego!!!
    Allie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey guys,
    i started a blog. Here is the address:
    http://www.beyourself1114.blogspot.com
    allie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi everyone it's me Caleb. It's been a while since I've been on the blog because I've been doing a bunch of stuff. I finished up summer enrichment last week, and I'm going to start taking guitar lessons. In summer enrichment I did acoustic guitar, and learned almost all the basic chords. Also I took Aerospace making hard paper airplanes, and one called the delta dart( I'll put a picture of it on here if I can figure it out) and a rocket. I also did exploratory science, and made this thing called obleck, and melted a cup(plastic). Then I did chess, and I learned different strategies, and moves including the en passant(french). I forgot to mention that early this summer I went to Lego camp, and built a lot of stuff there, including a 1' high minifigure knight, a 2' long black dragon, and a 2'tall 8 pound minifigure viking(again if I figure out how I'll put some pictures on). I also got an early birthday present, a travle chess set. That's what I've been busy doing all this time. Have a nice rest of the summer!

    ReplyDelete